Painting wheel?

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

Mvallus

Painting wheel?

Post by Mvallus »

Will be adding new leather to the wheel this winter, but noticed some chipping of the paint. Just curious if anyone has repainted their wheel? If so, what paint would you recommend? Or, maybe the best bet is to have it blasted and powder coated?

USA 251
Vento Solare

Re: Painting wheel?

Post by Vento Solare »

Matt,

I had the same thing and sanded the chipping areas, feathered the edges and sprayed with a passivating primer. Once that dried, I sprayed multiple coats of white epoxy refrigerator paint bought at Home Depot in a spray can. It has held up well and is much less expensive than having the wheel stripped and powder coated.
carlbraden

Post by carlbraden »

Matt,

6 months ago I removed my wheel, had it sand blasted, powder coated and then had a friend put on a new leather cover that I bought from the US.

The end result was great - advise was that powder coating was a better outcome to painting.

I will dig out a phto and post it for you.

Carl

Post by 35601 »

What was the cost?
Mvallus

Post by Mvallus »

Thanks for the tips. I was going to go Bill's route, but I received a quote from a powder coat company that has done work for me before (on the boom vang). For blasting and coat: about $150. So, I will definitely go this route. Removing old Comfort Grip was a challenge. Had to use a heat gun, several beers, and quite a bit of goof off. I will post a pic when all finished.