Project Costs, Input Welcome

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

bartvet

Project Costs, Input Welcome

Post by bartvet »

Having some work done on my just arrived 2003 #53. I was lucky to find space in a yard close to me, but no outside contractors allowed for working. I knew this going in and was just grateful to find a place where the hauling and launching would be easy and efficient for me. I realize I should expect to pay more in a yard like this but I think some of the prices I just got for work are beyond ridiculous.

Scope of work:

New seacock behind motor, new exhaust elbow on motor, and decided to do the serpentine belt upgrade as well.

Didn't seem like any of these jobs were that difficult or time consuming and I figured the parts weren't much either. I was thinking 4-6 hours labor, being generous. I know the belt kit is $450-$500, figured the other part weren't more than $200-$300. So I was thinking $800ish for parts plus 4-6 hrs labor.

Thoughts? Input?
Vento Solare

Re: Project Costs, Input Welcome

Post by Vento Solare »

Bart,

What is the seacock behind the motor? I assume you mean the valve on the stbd side of the saildrive.

The Balmar Altmount serpentine belt kit is well worth it.

I used the HDI Marine stainless exhaust kit.

My boat is on the hard at Borden Light Marina in Fall River not too far from you. If you'd like to see these before jumping into the projects let me know and I can show you. I think your labor may be a little low, but all easy projects to tackle yourself.
bartvet

Post by bartvet »

Bill,

Thanks. I appreciate the input, esp wrt to labor. I am a little overwhelmed so the engine projects I think I will leave to the yard. If my labor is low, then I am not as bad off as I thought.

Yes, wasn't sure about the "seacock" either, but didn't want to appear more ignorant (here, considerably) than I am. I will have a chance to clarify Friday when I can hopefully finish my inventory and go through the rest of boat.

BTW want to take moment to thank you for an amazing board and site and thank all those who have shared so much good knowledge. I have yet to find a topic I have a question about that isn't covered here in considerable detail.

Thank you all.

Bart Massucco
TSweather

Post by TSweather »

Hi Bart,
I second the HDI kit for the exhaust elbow that Bill had mentioned as it is an extremely well made part. It is a pretty easy install as the part that goes into the exhaust hose slid out much easier than I had expected and there is plenty of room to access the bolts on the manifold. You can remove or even lift the top companionway step for better access to the top of the motor.
As for the seacock, the Yanmar one on the saildrive for cooling water is annoyingly poor quality for a replacement bronze OEM part. I did that one, but even two years later it is already sticking pretty badly. If you're talking about the one for the water feed for the head, I'm not sure how you'll access that one without cutting an access port as it is buried in there behind the motor.
Yard labor costs are no joke here either, so I usually only use them for the jobs I refuse to do.
Good luck, Todd
bartvet

Post by bartvet »

Todd,

Yes thanks. Sound advice, I appreciate it.

I finally poked around myself. The saildrive seacock is the one in question. And this one is done.

Yes, this year I am at the mercy of the yard but I should remind myself I am somewhat lucky. Space around here is non existent this year and I was lucky to find a spot this late in the season. Next year I will be more prepared, but I couldn't pass up the chance to have a boat like this and try to join in on some of the fun you guys are clearly having!

My oldest son and I rebuilt an ancient Etchells three seasons ago and two seasons of sailing and racing it has made me acutely aware of two things. First, I haven't raced sailboats for nearly 35 years. I knew I missed it, but didn't realize how much. Second, the Etchells really only gets going when he is around and last year we had a lot of gaps in the schedule and these are likely to increase in frequency and duration as he finishes college and figures out what he wants to do with his life. Seems I was either going to get myself a laser or a J 109!

As always, appreciate all the helpful input.

Best,
Bart
Dan Corcoran

Post by Dan Corcoran »

What labor is involved replacing that engine seacock? Can it be done by owner?
Is there a better part?
It would seem, that a worthy upgrade may be to rig it up as an alternate emergency bilge pump. Anyone do that?
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Dan,

Yes - it just unscrews. The replacement seacock assembly is Yanmar 196420-02290 and costs about $70