"Jumbo" chutes ......

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

What size spinnakers are people using and how much does PHRF hit your rating?

My boat came with a 132 sq/m "Jumbo" spinnaker and the PHRF guys are saying I will take a massive hit if I use it. They say it should only be a 120 sq/m spinnaker.

Currently we rate 75 PHRF using class sails. The SC guys rate 69 with 155 genoa and large chute (not sure what size). PHRF guys already are complaining we should get hit as we are leading the B-boats even in light air (5 knots) using the small stuff.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Post by Guest »

We have a North 2A runner at 120, 3A VMG at 108, and 4A at 108 (both latter at class). PHRF in our area is 69 with the 120 chute. Seems to be fair. Given our wind, I can't imagine a larger sail would be worth the expense if it significantly affected our PHRF.

[Posted by: Barry
]
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

Barry, does the rating of 69 also include the 155 genoa?

Post by Guest »

Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, 69 is quite normal for boats set-up for PHRF. I think the guys in Charleston and LI Sound rate 69 w/155s and 120 chutes as well (Ric & Rick, is this correct?) This puts us pretty much equivelent to a J/35, which is considered the "base boat" by J. I seem to recall an early discussion with J/Boats that also concluded these two boats will be rated about equal, but the 109 w/PHRF set-up should be faster in lighter air (which it is). Hope this helps.

[Posted by: Barry
]
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

Thanks Barry. I looked up the rating my boat had on the west coast prior to my buying her. She was rated at 63 with the larger sails. Have a feeling that since NCPHRF thinks the boat should "only" have 120 chute they will abuse me a bit for the 132.
crash

Post by crash »

Craig,
We race PHRF on the Chesapeake. 120 Chute, 155 genny and a PHRF rating of 69. Buying the smaller (108) class chute this year. Based on our racing, I would hazard to guess that a 132 chute would only pay off in very light air. 120 chute works for 5-20kt TWS range, but as wind gets near 20, its almost too big to reach up with...I can't see where the penalty for a bigger chute would pay off unless almost all your racing is done in very light air.
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

Peter, the boat came with the big chute. Got the measurements from the sail maker and it measures 127 Sq/m. Not sure it would be worth the change as we are very competitive with the 108 sq/m sail. A Soverel 33 gives us trouble in the light but we handle the B-boats easily enough. But later in the year we will have lighter winds and larger boats to race against.

Will wait and see what the NC-PHRF guys suggest as a change.

Post by Guest »

we got a 140sqm max phrf chute for our boat. its a lot of fun, and far more power than the 108sqm.
note that where we race its generaly light air anyway, in the summer. have yet to race with it though.
also, where we race we are in phrf a, with 105's j35's and a cookson 40.... so its not like we are moved into the slowest group.

[Posted by: dan goldman
]
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

Dan, what do you guys rate with your big sails compared to the J35?

Post by Guest »

We love our 138 sq m 'Circus Tent' We pay a high price - 6 seconds per mile in phrf - but since we only race phrf in summer we need the big kite. We also have a 121 sq m lightweight reaching chute, for those ultra light days when the breeze only gets to 5 knots or so. Probably should be out golfing those days...

[Posted by: Mike Brown
]

Post by Guest »

craig, i'll get back to you on that.

i think we rate 84 (shoal draft and cruising amenities...), dont know about the 35's but should know on saturday.

[Posted by: dan goldman
]

Post by Guest »

I have a mailsail for sale...its an older north good for deliveries etc located in Sag Harbor. Have all the battens etc. Looking to get $900.00 shipping or pick up is on the buyer.

[Posted by: David
]