Main Halyard Cluch Slipping

Maintaining, repairing, upgrading, commissioning, decommissioning topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

adrianbegley

Post by adrianbegley »

Racing this weekend we noticed the main halyard would slip by an inch in the clutch. Clutch and halyard are standard and rigged to port so we can't leave both halyards on the winches and I don't want to change this.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how have they fixed it ? Is doubling up the jammers legal ?

Adrian.

Post by Guest »

Everybody seems to have the problem.

You could try having a rigger bulk up the halyard, either with an outer cover or an inner core.

Some folks try washing new line in detergent to remove oils left over from the manufacturing process. I've also seen suggestions that scuffing up the cover a bit helps.

Hall Spars also suggests overhoisting a bit, and easing the halyard off the winch while the main is still luffing and unloaded.

I don't want to prejudge what the technical committee might decide, but the sense of the new class rules is something like 'whatever is not permitted is forbidden'. And the J/105 class had the same question come up, and the answer was 'no'.

[Posted by: Dan Grossman
]

Post by Guest »

Happens every day on Mischief, Adrian. We keep it on the port cabintop winch when going upwind, and adjust it just before and between races. We keep the jib on the starboard side winch. It would slip, too. I should have bulked up the lines in the off-season, but never got around to it. Even if we had, we'd keep those halyards on winches upwind.

[Posted by: Mike Brown
]

Post by Guest »

I keep both halyards on the winches up wind. It doesnt slip an immeadiatly noticeable amount, but at the end of the day it is definetly quite loose.
We have the main to port and the jib to starbored so they both remain on the winches upwind.
if you really dont want to change that bad though, you can get a 'cross feed block', which gets bolted into the cabin and allows to to cross to the other winch, nut i dont know how the class or any friction point along the way will like it...

[Posted by: Dan Goldman
]
adrianbegley

Post by adrianbegley »

I think it is better to run the primary jib and main halyards to port so that the pit person is doing all the mark rounding work to starboard.

I know we are one design - it was essential to m y purchasing the boat - but I would like the class rules changed to allow either doubled jammers or a cleat. In fact to single hand the boat adding a jammer to the mast would make life much easier when getting the main up and we could allow a spinnaker halyard jammer on the starboard side of the mast to even things up !
jim

Post by jim »

I have a new 109 and haven't experienced this problem personally yet. Does the halyard slip right away after taking off the winch. My previous boat was a Farr 40 OD and on that boat we hoisted the main only to a snug position. For upwind tension the cunningham (with significant purchase) was used. I believe that the cunningham is "class legal" on the J 109 and maybe thats the way to go????

Post by Guest »

yes cunningham is good, also bulking up the halyard at the clutch works well also

[Posted by: bullets
]
pmccomb

Post by pmccomb »

I 'sewed' some whipping line in and out through the site of the rope brake over about 15 cm to 'bulk up the halyard'. This stops the slipping.
blur

Post by blur »

If you have Spinlock, you wann't to "upgrade" to smaller cams, CAM-0608. Worked great for us even in combination with 10 mm Liros Racer Pro and North 3Di.

http://www.blur.se/2010/05/04/uppgrader ... vlastarna/
Vento Solare

Re: Main Halyard Cluch Slipping

Post by Vento Solare »

I followed Peter's recommendation and upgraded the cams in the Spinlock clutches. That worked fine until I bought a set of 3Di sails. There is absolutely zero stretch in the sails and the all load was applied at the clutches. It destroyed the cover on my new halyard.

Since the class measurer approved the use of a second inline clutch, I installed a Ronstan Constrictor clutch. This solution works very well and does not slip at all or abrade the halyard cover.

jerry

Post by jerry »

Last of my 20-year maintenance/upgrades posts. Getting tired of the main halyard slipping all the time and should have done this years ago.I already upgraded the Spinlock clutch which helps but not 100%. Will be adding the Ronstan Constrictor clutch as a secondary clutch, when I have the headliner off for the winch upgrade. So a few questions for those that have done it.

The J/109 specs call for a 3/8" (9.525 mm) main and jib halyard. I believe I used 10 mm cord for last upgrade. Ronstan shows one product for 5/16 to 3/8" (8-10 mm) cord, and the next model up at 3/8" to 1/2" (10-12 mm) cord. There is an overlap. Better to go larger or smaller? If I do have 3/8" cord then probably best to go smaller as that is 9.525 mm?

Since this is a secondary clutch, what is the best distance from the Spinlock Clutches?

Since I'll be drilling holes and taking the headliner off, do you also do one for the jib halyard? It doesn't slip as much but in heavy air it has.

Finally, any reference on best deck hole drilling/sealing technique?

Thanks again for your time,

Jerry
S/V Shada #44
Vento Solare

Post by Vento Solare »

Jerry,

In my pictures above I use the CT310P001 model and the 10mm line. They work great. I used 1/16" G10 under the overhead for backing plate with stainless washers and nylock nuts.

It's been a while since I did this but I believe that I over drilled, epoxy filled then redrilled to isolate.

Position the Constrictor forward of the Spinlock so you can see the reference mark drawn on the halyard for consistent hoist height. I also did the same for jib halyard on stbd side.