Snuffers

Sail trim, rig tuning, and related topics.

Moderator: forumadmin

jwarrendmd

Post by jwarrendmd »

I am the new owner of hull #160. I would like to know, is anyone is using a snuffer for short-handed racing or cruising?
Is ATN the best source? How did you measure the length to order? Is anyone using a snuffer system led to the cockpit?
Any help appreciated.

Jeffrey Warren
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

I used several different brands of snuffer on friends boats. Never really impressed so we went with the ATN. Has worked great most of the time. We even got a wrap in the chute while jibing and pulled the snuffer down 1/2 way to just below the wrap and it worked itself out pulling the snuffer back up.
nc_109_driver

Post by nc_109_driver »

..... As for measurement we used the luff measure on the sail bag from the sail maker. We put a pendant on the clew so we would more easily attach the sheet while the sail was in the snuffer.

Post by Guest »

Here's another vote for the ATN sock. One thing of note - if you're flying your kite in cruising mode, beware the anchor! In light air we couldn't fly the kite through the jibe, and sure enough ripped a 10 foot gash in the foot when it snagged on our Delta. The foolproof solution is to have a short luff length on your cruising kite, so it can't drape itself over the anchor or roller. But that also means the kite won't project to weather like one with a longer luff length. Or you can be more careful than I!

[Posted by: Tom Niccoli
]

Post by Guest »

Hi,
We use a North snuffer on our code A3 kite, it means we can fly a kite short handed in heavy winds. It also means we can gybe it with just the two of us on board. If you are racing I would practice rolling out your Jib as the lines can easily get caught up in the roller. What it does mean is that you can snuff right at the mark, just make sure you draw the kite around to the windward side when you do, it makes dropping very very easy.
Having used the snuffer for one season I think it will become a standard for us.

[Posted by: Jonathan Tithecott
]