The J/109 Class held its 2016 annual meeting in New York City on 26 October. The minutes of the meeting are posted on the class website at this link. Subsequent to the annual meeting the Executive Board held a teleconference on 17 November to address some near term actions and is documented in the conference call minutes at this link. The following information is posted for all class members to read:
- Discussion continued from the annual meeting on potentially limiting participation of Category 3 sailors participating in the 2017 North American Championship resulted in no change to class rule 2.3 as written.
- It was agreed that requirements for the Corinthian Trophy to be awarded at the 2017 North American Championship will be the boat sailing with no Category 3 sailors that finishes with the best series score.
- The Class Secretary will be working through the Fleet Captains to solicit inputs on where the 2018 and 2019 North American Championships will be held. Plans are to issue a request of “interest / no-interest” to yacht clubs identified by the Fleet Captains, which will be followed by a “Request for Proposal” to those yacht clubs expressing interest. The Executive board will evaluate all proposals submitted and choose the location of these North American Championships.
- The new Class Measurer has formed a technical committee per Class Constitution 6.11. This group is evaluating a number of items posted on the rules discussion section of the forum and will post decisions reached. The group will also update the measurement checklist that is used at the North American Championship and has committed to having this available on the class website no later than 15 March 2017.
- The East Coast Championship will be the Cedar Point One Design Regatta 2-4 June 2017.
- The 2017 East Coast Regatta Series has been scheduled with 3 events. To qualify for the series you must sail in the J/109 North American Championship at Block Island Race Week, plus one of the other events listed. The list of qualifying events is as follows:
– J/109 NAs at Block Island Race Week – the mandatory event (18-23 June 2017)
– New England J/Fest at Sail Newport (12, 13 August 2017)
– American YC Fall Series at AYC (23 – 24 September, 30 September – 1 October 2017)