The J/109 Class held its 2017 annual meeting in Newport, RI on 11 October. The minutes of the meeting are posted on the class website at this link. The following summary is posted for all class members to read:
- The Treasurer’s report stated that the Class’s cash position was healthy and had grown in recent years due to slight annual profits each year. It currently stands at $23,000. 2017 annual expenses are in line within historical levels.
- The Class received tax exempt status on 17 September under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 501(c )(7) effective retroactively to May 15, 2014.
- The Class Measurer provided an overview of the class rules interpretations posted on the forum. The Technical Committee has updated proposed class rules based on ISAF changing to World Sailing, which updated many documents referenced in the Class Rules. A ballot will be sent via email to all eligible voting members by 13 October with voting closed on 13 November. Should the proposed changes be approved by vote, the updated rules would take effect 1 January 2018.
- The J/109 North American Championship will be hosted by Larchmont YC 10-14 October 2018.
- The East Coast Championship will be the New England J/Fest hosted by Sail Newport 7-9 September 2018. (Date to be confirmed)
- The 2018 East Coast Regatta Series has been scheduled with 3 events. To qualify for the series you must sail in the Cedar Point OD Regatta, plus one of the other events listed. The list of qualifying events is as follows:
- Bob Schwartz has generously donated his old mast to the Class for temporary loaner use by any boat owner in need. He explained that the rig had been sleeved and deemed unsatisfactory for his use, but wanted to make it available to the Class. The mast is currently being stored at McMichaels under favorable terms.
– Cedar Point OD Regatta – the mandatory event (1-3 June 2018)
– New York YC Race Week (16-22 July 2018)
– American YC Fall Series at AYC (29 – 30 September 2018) 2nd weekend only